Saturday 9 September 2017

The Monument


Whilst I was in the City I paid a visit to Sir Christopher Wren (and Robert Hooke's), Monument to the Great Fire of London, built between 1671-1677. The Monument is something I've passed and photographed so many times before but never really felt the need to climb. I decided to remedy this on a bright, sunny day which would afford the best views across the city. It was a really enjoyable experience and I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. The Great Fire started on 2nd September 1666.

The Great Fire of London - Dutch School c.1666
 







I handed over my fiver entrance fee at the front desk, and began my ascent of the 202 ft (62m) column's 311 steps. It wasn't too hard a trek.




I did begin to feel the burn half way up though, and rested to check my progress out of a porthole. Determined to reach the top nonetheless, I duly soldiered on with wobbly legs and reached the goal.






Some ancient graffiti at the top of the stairs.



The panoramic views at the top were spectacular and well worth the effort of the climb.





Wren's other masterpiece - St Paul's Cathedral







I enjoyed being close to the golden ball of fire at the top, and seeing the twisted tongs of gilded flames licking at the sky.





Amazing London vistas appreciated, it was time for the descent.



One last look back to the top



Back down to earth you are awarded a certificate - a little reward for your efforts, and a nice memento of the climb.





The Monument
Fish Street Hill
London
themonument.info